Do you have a passion for education and learning? Do you love working with children and youth? Do you consider yourself a fluent in speaking Tamil & English? Then we want you to join Aasanaum Kids Tamil Camp as a Camp volunteer!
The Camp volunteer is enthusiastic and has seamless group management skills. Camp volunteers enjoy organizing the camp activities from setup to cleanup. The volunteer will respect health and safety procedures and have strong leadership skills. This is a 4-6 weeks contract position.
To apply please send in your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Why join Aasanaum Tamil Camp?
- Community service hours
- Monday to Friday work schedule – weekends off!
- Daytime work hours
- Civic Holiday Off
- Fun work environment and culture working with children
- Career pathing – get experience in Tamil language, history, arts and games
- Future leadership opportunities – apply for Camp Leader or Activity Coordinator
- Rewards and Recognition
As a Camp volunteer, your duties and responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Leading activities for a group of Aasanaum Kids Tamil campers as assigned by Management Team; Leading inquiry and discussion surrounding those activities
- Assisting campers in learning more about Aasanaum Kids Tamil Camp projects;
- Creating a fun, enjoyable, and safe atmosphere for campers;
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and positive interactions in every session with campers and your peers; coming to each session prepared
- Engaging with each camper as they work through activities, and showing an interest in each camper as s/he works through activities;
- Ensuring that all campers under your care are treated equally, consistently and fairly;
- Assuming the responsibility of leadership with consistent and specific direction in the supervision of campers;
- Demonstrating emotional maturity, a positive attitude, thoughtfulness and stability in decision-making;
- Being self-confident and able to accept and adopt constructive feedback;
- Providing appropriate feedback to, and communication with parents or guardians whenever needed, and immediately when emergency contact with parents/guardians is required;
- Completing all company training and abiding by all Aasanaum Kids Tamil Camp policies, rules and regulations;
- Following all daily campsite cleaning procedures;
- Carrying out other reasonable duty requests from any member of the Management Team;
- Ensuring sessions are running smoothly and that both campers and counsellors are following the Aasanaum Kids Tamil Camp guidelines;
- Ensuring each session has the material needed to run smoothly by creating different games and activities for campers aged 6-14 to engage in as they work through the program material with their counsellors
Note: Candidates applying for any position with Aasanaum Kids Tamil Camp may be request to obtain a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector, unless these services are currently unavailable due to COVID-19.
- Completing high school diploma or currently enrolled and fluent in Tamil (speaking, writing and reading)
- 1 year experience working with children
- Applicants who are Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be prioritized
- Knowledge and understanding of tamil related topics
- Inspirational and creative thinking skills
- Customer service-oriented Teamwork and Collaboration, Adaptability and Initiative
- Strong planning and organizational skills, with the ability to anticipate problems and opportunities, and develop effective solutions
- Excellent communication and skills
- Must be able to commute to workplace location(s)
- Bilingualism is an asset (Tamil and English)
What to Expect
Although our camps run on a seasonal basis in July and August, we may require for Camp volunteers to attend training session starting June/2023. This is a full-time, contract role that is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working with children.
COVID-19 Considerations: To keep our employees and customers safe we provide PPE, extensive health & safety protocols to keep our team and clients safe. All employees are taking COVID-19 masking and sanitizing protocols seriously and abiding by public health guidelines.